(full minutes attached to month as pdf file)
Summary of January 22, 2009, meeting
- Received and discussed a State of the Diocese analysis and recommended that members discuss the materials relating to their own regions and their regional meetings.
- Learned that an ad hoc committee has recommended a compensation package for the next Bishop of Minnesota to the Bishop Search Committee.
- Unanimously received the report entitled Proposal for Improving Governance within the Diocese of Minnesota, prepared by a working group established by Resolution 4 of the 2008 Diocesan Convention.
- Unanimously passed Resolution 2009-01, establishing a Personnel Committee as a Standing Committee of Diocesan Council.
- Passed a motion calling for the president and vice president of Council to name a constitutions and canons committee to begin the process of changes that will be requested by both the MSN process and the Proposal for Improving Governance within the Diocese of Minnesota.
- Passed a motion directing the Diocesan Finance and Audit Committee to begin the process of separating the committee into a finance committee and an audit committee.
- Passed a motion that the Proposal for Improving Governance within the Diocese of Minnesota be returned to Council as a proposal for the HR committee exclusively.
- Passed a motion that the Proposal for Improving Governance within the Diocese of Minnesota be forwarded to MSN for its consideration no later than March 2009.
- Acquired an official parliamentarian, Mark Kelm, who was appointed by First Vice President Doug Franzen.
Summary of March 26, 2009, meeting
- Discussed consequences of parochial reports filed after the canonically-mandated deadline of March 1, steps to be taken to receive exemptions, and asked Karen Olson to prepare a letter out-lining these matters, to be sent to all congregations.
- Unanimously voted to table the vote on the Resolution 4 Working Group Proposals until Council has fully discussed any related actions and proposals that may be forthcoming at today’s meeting (March 26, 2009).
- Unanimously accepted the Response to Improving Governance Document, submitted to Council on behalf of the Mission Strategy Network Coordinators Team on February 16, 2009.
- Unanimously voted to incorporate Doug Sparks’ paragraph regarding the February 10, 2009, Steering Committee conversation with the Resolution 4 Working Group into the minutes of this meeting.
- Unanimously moved that Council create as [standing committees] of Council a Diocesan [Coun-cil] Finance Committee and a Diocesan [Council] Audit Committee.
- Unanimously approved the appointments of Rex McKee and Pat Dibble as Council representa-tives to the Personnel Committee.
- Unanimously approved the appointments of Bob Carmack (lay) and Justin Chapman (clergy) to fill vacancies on the Standing Committee.
- Unanimously referred proposed language that the Personnel Committee be attentive to issues of economic and social justice to the Chancellor.
- Unanimously accepted Section 218.7, points a-m, from the document titled “Improving Gover-nance, Processes and Procedures within the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota” as the charge to the Personnel Committee.
- Passed a motion that Council adopt and approve the recommendations of DFAC regarding the 2009 budget.
- Heard a progress report on mission strategy, and discussed an executive summary of an MSN document to be sent to the diocese in April.
Summary of June 25, 2009, meeting
- Unanimously approved the move of Holy Trinity, International Falls, from Region 1 to Region 2
- Continued discussion on the working group’s recommendations in regard to Resolution 4 of the 2008 Diocesan Convention, along with input and reactions from Chancellor Jon Tuttle and the Constitution and Canons Committee
- Passed a motion that the document titled “Good Governance Canons” as proposed by the Constitution and Canons Committee and the working group be approved as amended by this Council, and referred to Diocesan Convention
- Passed a motion to strike item 5 from the document titled “Improving Governance, Processes and Procedures within the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota” and dated June 22, 2009
- Passed, with one opposed, a motion that the draft resolution [2009-02] of Diocesan Council roles and responsibilities [Resolution of Diocesan Council of the Diocese of Minnesota Committee Guidelines and Responsibilities] be tabled and the exhibits be referred to the appropriate committees of Council for return action
- Passed a motion that the council approve and embrace the plan brought forward by the bishop for mutual ministry of congregations in this diocese
- Heard a report from Jim Delamater on the financial status of the Trustees of the Diocese of Minnesota, Inc., and implications for the Trustees as a result of certain financial decisions of the Diocese of Minnesota
- Approved the draft budget timeline for 2010
- Discussed, with Minnesota deputation lay chair Sally Johnson, the decision to reduce the Diocese of Minnesota’s apportionment payment to the Episcopal Church in 2009
- Spent the final half hour of the meeting in executive session
Summary of July 23, 2009, meeting
- Voted to refer the remaining four items from the document titled “Improving Governance, Processes and Procedures within the Episcopal Diocese of Minnesota” and dated June 22, 2009, to Council’s Steering Committee to bring back for discussion in September
- Accepted the Finance Committee recommendations as amended
- Heard reports from Holy Apostles, St. Paul and La Misión el Santo Niño Jesús, St. Paul
- Passed a motion that Diocesan Council stand in support of the Mission Strategy Network resolution submitted to the 2009 Diocesan Convention
- Accepted the report of the Diocesan Finance and Audit Committee
- Voted that a narrative be prepared of the conversation of the committee of the whole on 2010 draft budgets A and B
- Passed a motion that a third column be added to the budget which incorporates the budget narrative; in addition, to include a revenue page to include five columns: 2008 actual, 2009 forecast, 14.5% ACG reduction, 12-14% ACG, 10-12% ACG
- Voted to include in the narrative an explanation of the revenue side
- Voted that the draft of the 2010 diocesan budget be transmitted to the Trustees for review and comment
- Passed a motion to coordinate the Finance Committee with the Trustees of the Diocese, Inc. by appropriate liaisons serving on each other’s finance committees
Summary of September 17, 2009 meeting
- Approved the recommendations from the Steering Committee regarding “Improving Governance, Processes and Procedures” and converted into resolution form (2009-03)
- Created a task force to develop a set of protocols regarding issues surrounding the H1N1 virus
- Approved the Personnel Committee Roles
- Heard a report from the Department of Indian Work
- Approved a motion to address Council’s response to the 2008 Convention Resolution #4
- Approved a final proposed 2010 Budget to send to Diocesan Convention
Summary of December 17, 2009 meeting
- Heard a summary of evaluations from Diocesan Convention
- Unanimously passed revised Audit Committee responsibilities
- Unanimously received the 2008 audit report, with one word change
- Heard a report from the Personnel Committee about its planned work for 2010
- Amended and then passed Resolution 2009-05, concerning changing the designation of the Bishop’s Residence Fund to allow monies from the fund to be loaned to Bishop-elect Brian Prior as a bridge loan to assist him in the purchase of a home
- Approved Resolution 2009-04, 2010 housing allowances for diocesan-employed clergy, with one format change
- Amended and then passed Resolution 2009-06, approving payment of a 2010 asset administration fee of up to 3% to the Trustees of the Diocese of Minnesota, Incorporated as payment for the Trustees’ administration of diocesan assets