Multimedia Resources from October 2015 Meeting of Elected Bodies Now Available
October 27, 2015
The Meeting of Elected Bodies took place Friday, October 23 – Saturday, October 24 at the ECMN Retreat Center located on the campus of Shattuck-St. Mary’s in Faribault.
On Friday evening, attendees participated in Living in the Green, a retreat that draws upon individual stories and community stories to get clear about the questions: “Where is God calling us to let go?” and “What future is God inviting us into?” This retreat is a great opportunity for groups who are engaged in mission and ministry together. Council will be involved in Living in the Green for the duration of the program year.
Saturday morning began with opening prayer and Gospel Based Discipleship, followed by a welcome and presentation by Bishop Brian Prior. Missioner for Community Engagement, Rachel Babbitt, then spoke about Mission Opportunity 2016: Engaging God’s Mission Through Engaging All God’s Creation. Following that, Missioner for Mission, Amanda Ziebell-Finley, spoke about the Missional Innovative Partnership Grant application process for 2015-2016.
The morning continued with tracking in elected bodies, followed by lunch, and then meeting in elected bodies. Below is an account of what each individual elected body covered.
- Motions to elect The Rev. Joy Caires to the Standing Committee, to approve the 2016 Housing Allowance for ECMN Clergy, and to approve the appointment of Brian Ostenso as Vice Chair of Council were all approved unanimously.
- Bishop Prior gave an overview of the Episcopal Commons project and announced that his sabbatical had been postponed.
- Hector Bruce and Darin Prescott were welcomed as new members to the Management Committee of Council.
- Missioner for Finance, Jennifer Gamberg, introduced a new single page financial summary of operations and went through it with the Management Committee of Council. She also gave an audit update and noted that she and others continue to work to add financial tools to the ECMN website.
- There was a general review of the Financial Peer Audit/Review process available for smaller faith communities.
- It was noted that the 2016 Financial Statement of Mission (FSM) was passed at ECMN Convention 2015, as well as the FSM framework for 2017 and 2018.
- The Standing Committee welcomed three new members: Rich Simons, The Rev. Joy Caires, and The Rev. John Dwyer.
- Amanda Norman was elected President, The Rev. Buff Grace was elected Vice President, The Rev. Joy Caires was elected Secretary, and The Rev. Chip Whitacre was elected Chaplain.
- Several reports and updates were received on the work of the Bishop, his Chancellor, and Missioner for Missional Management, The Rev. Michael Pipkin, and Missioner for Ministry, Karen Olson.
- The Standing Committee consented to two property-related matters and discussions took place about internal work and optimizing the models that have been used (and models the Standing Committee will look to use in the future) to facilitate their work.
- The Standing Committee also enjoyed their first ever morning of tracking inside their shared work with the Trustees and the Commission on Ministry. Thank you to David Olson and The Rev. Ramona Scarpace for their invitation to meet.
Commission on Ministry
- The Commission on Ministry (COM) and the Standing Committee met together to strengthen their partnership and discuss issues and concerns regarding the discernment process, candidacy for ordination and communication, and expectations between the two groups. A subgroup of the COM and Standing Committee will continue to meet throughout the year.
- The COM drafted a set of goals/tasks/concerns to focus on in the next year including: an alternative to the General Ordination Exam, stronger partnerships with people going through the discernment process, how to broaden access to the School for Formation, improved communication with the Standing Committee, and possible refinements to the discernment process.
- The COM met with Bill Butcher, Dean Haetlevig, and the team from Church of the Epiphany and is in the process of drafting letters regarding the specifics of the interviews along with recommendations.
- The Trustees welcomed new members The Rev. Morris Goodwin, Mary Neal, John Bahnemann, and Dave Holmberg.
- The Trustees reviewed their goals with respect to the Pooled Investment Fund (PIF), Real Estate, and Finance.
- They met with the Standing Committee to begin a discussion of coordinating and communicating more closely with respect to addressing issues of mission properties.
- The Trustees reviewed mission properties listed for sale.
- They authorized assistance to address a drainage problem at Holy Apostles.
- They authorized the sale of the building formerly belonging to Epiphany (St. Paul) to Holy Trinity.
- The Trustees held their first meeting as the Board of Directors of the University Episcopal Center (UEC). They began by directing missioners to research the terms of the property’s ground lease and mortgage.
Click here to access multimedia resources from the day, including the PowerPoint that was shown, photos, and video.
The next Meeting of Elected Bodies will take place January 9, 2016 at the ECMN Retreat Center in Faribault.