Introducing Casa Maria
Cultivating community through food, relationships, safe spaces to gather, and the mutual sharing of gifts.
Casa Maria is a safe place for neighbors to gather, receive groceries and clothing, and network with others about health care options, employment, and housing. Everyone is welcome; we primarily serve Spanish-speaking immigrants in Richfield, Bloomington, Minneapolis, and the adjacent communities. Grounded in following Jesus and living our faith, Casa Maria provides services monthly to over 350 families in Richfield and the surrounding communities.
Casa Maria was born from a desire to follow the Holy Spirit as she led us to do God’s work in our neighborhood. In the Spring of 2020 as COVID ramped up, leaders and youth from San Nicolàs called members of the community and asked:
- How can we pray for you?
- How are you doing?
- What are your challenges?
What they heard was that, because of lost employment, food insecurity was a major concern. We began asking for food donations, which were delivered to families in our faith community and to our neighbors.
Based on our practices of following Jesus and grounded in Scripture, Casa Maria has grown into its own faith community that meets every Saturday. What began as feeding people during COVID has evolved into a sacred space that creates community in the name of Christ.
Join Us—We invite everyone to participate in Casa Maria
- Share a gift or skill—we need project planners, graphic and web designers, and more
- Volunteer—organize or hand out groceries, greet people, or collect data
- Attend a bilingual worship service
- Socialize and practice your Spanish or English
- Hold a food drive for dried beans and white rice; or personal care items
- Donate money
We invite you to become a community partner to help the future of Casa Maria. Current partners include:
- The Episcopal Church in Minnesota
- St. Nicholas Episcopal Church, Richfield, MN
- St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church, Minneapolis
- St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church, St. Paul
- St. Stephens Episcopal Church, Edina
- Wana and Teng Vue Farm
- Good Courage Farm, Hutchinson
- Harvest from the Heart (Incarnation Catholic Church), Minneapolis
- Volunteers Enlisted to Assist People (VEAP), Bloomington
- Asamblea do los Derechos Civiles (Latino Advocacy Organization), St. Paul
- Hennepin County Health Equity Office
Want to help? Contact the Rev. Julie Luna to find out how! 651-253-7379 or email@example.com.